Oman is one of the safest countries in the Middle-East and not many are aware that it has some picturesque locations that can be visited. There are beaches, mountains, deserts, mosques and souqs that cannot be missed. Here are a few places that you must not miss while in Oman.
1. Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque – Muscat is the capital of Oman and here you can find the beautiful Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque which is stunningly modern and offers space for 20,000 worshippers. The main prayer hall has a massive chandelier and is detailed by blue mosaic tiles.
2. The Jabrin Fort – From Muscat you can take a short trip to the Nizwa area where you can find the ancient villages, mountains and forts. The Jabrin Fort looks like a sand castle and is located amidst an oasis of date palms. The fort has some interesting places to look around that speak about the history of the place.
3. Wahiba Sands – Your visit to Oman is incomplete without visiting the desert. The Wahiba sands is a place for the true experience of a desert for rolling sand dunes, 4WD adventures and camel rides. You can watch the camels wander, drink some tea and have a peaceful experience while watching the stars.
4. The Wadi Bani Khalid – One of the most happening things you can do while in Oman are the wadis that have rocky ravines and dry riverbeds and only contain water at certain times of the year. Many of them have pools you can swim in. The Wadi Bani Khalid is a beautiful oasis in the desert that has crystal clear water surrounded by date palms and rugged mountains.
5. Sur – The Sur is a place where the desert meets the sea and you will be treated with long empty beaches. You can find the picturesque fishing village of Al Ayjah and also a turtle reserve at Ras Al Jinz.
Photo Credits: Flikr, Fodors Travel guide, Man on the lam